Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Dinner for 4 & 1 hotel room







January 4, 2010 started off to be a normal day. In the early afternoon we lost all power. This wasn't a big deal because no power is needed to feed, change and play with the babies. I didn't worry about it and opened some blinds for some light. After a few hours we started getting chilly. So, I decided to run some errands. We went to the post office and Babies R Us. Upon returning home, we were delighted that our power was in full force. Our power only lasted for an hour at which point we lost all power again. This time it was later and getting much colder. I stayed calm and lit as many candles as I could and got out flash lights. Soon there after our fire alarms started beeping enormously loud. Both babies were frightened. I blew out all the candles and opened the windows and doors. This did not turn the fire alarms off. Luckily, Chad was right around the corner. When he came in I was rocking both babies in the rocking chair in the dark with the fire alarms still beeping. Chad is always cool and calm. He started my car and said to put the babies in so they won't get cold. We fed the babies in the car and then let them explore the flashy electronics. They loved it. It was getting later and we still had no power. The electric company said a transformer blew and the power might not be on until 11:00. Chad also talked to the on site electricians. They said they would have the power up soon but in the middle of the night they would have to replace another transformer so power would be out again for another 2 hours. He came back to the car and said he was taking us out to eat. My eyes opened wide, we were taking the babies out to eat for the first time. Dinner was great and the babies were excellent. After dinner, Chad called the electric company to get the latest news. We still had no power. So, we checked into a hotel where we could be cozy and warm. We each took a baby and cuddled with them all night in bed. Yeah, what a great excuse to sleep with the babies in bed. We came home this morning to a warm house with all its' lights on. Yes, the power is working. Although it was crazy with the fire alarms beeping, candles burning, doors and windows open, doggies scared of the loud noises, babies up way past bed time, and frantic packing in the dark..............I am thankful we had our first dinner out together, even if it was forced. I am also thankful for all our neighbors who came to check on us periodically. They were in their cars too, trying to stay warm.

2 comments:

  1. Cute story!! Sounds like an adventure, but that it went well!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad to hear that your first dinner out with Tate and Savannah went well! I'm sure they enjoyed their adventure!

    ReplyDelete