Friday, December 31, 2010

My Pa



My Pa, my grandfather, passed away on Christmas Day. He impacted my life in many ways. My Pa and I have had a special bond since I was little. He always tells me the story when he babysat me and I was fussy. He took me outside and we had a picnic under the front tree. From then on, we have held a special bond. He was my dance partner. He took me to my Six Flags dance recital. He took me shoe shopping on a regular basis and always insisted I get what I wanted and not what I needed. Pa is known as the "donut man". His donut deliveries started when I was older and went off to college. My Pa didn't forget about me. He knew the weekends I'd come home to visit and leave his special donuts on the front porch. His deliveries were personalized with writing/scribbles on the top of the box. I was excited about the donuts don't get me wrong but the messages he'd leave on the box were more meaningful. I melted inside every time I'd see his hand writing and the words "WeWe," my nickname. The donut deliveries were specific and meaningful. He knew my likes/dislikes. He knew my brother likes sprinkles, my mom the Cinnamon twist and me the donut holes. He wasn't just buying a 1/2 dozen glazed but a special order for each loved one. As I stated above, my Pa and I have a close bond with tons of special memories. I think he has a special bond with all 12 grandchildren. Each bond/relationship is different and unique because my Pa has taken the time to get to know all of us as individuals. He loves us for who we are and enjoys us all. I keep remembering Tilly's remarks at Pa's funeral........Pa IS, not WAS, and always will be. Pa will be missed immensely. I will miss hearing his voice utter the words, "I love you....WeWe." After every conversation, I would end it by saying, " I love you Pa." Then I would wait. He would always reply with, "I love you....WeWe." The same sentence, tone and rhythm every time. Pa was a man of God, he was supportive, encouraging, and loving.

2 comments:

  1. This makes me tear up! I am so sorry for your loss. I had a very close bond with my grandparents as well and losing them was one of the hardest things I have been through! I am glad you have such wonderful memories though and pray they will stay with you for eternity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard that you guys lost your grandfather and I am so sorry for your lose. You guys are in our prayers. I know it is so hard to lose a grandparent!

    ReplyDelete